Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tiger and Earl

Mixed feelings about Nike's latest Tiger Woods spot (created by Wieden + Kennedy). It's simple, bold, and beautifully done. Creepy, too -- though anything involving the voice of your dead parent would be. It's a little too much Mustafa-Simba ghost-talk for me. (Then again, suggesting likeness between Earl Woods and Mustafa might be too kind, given Earl's own womanizing track record..). I do like how he doesnt do/say anthing in the ad, because it's not like people want to see him showing off & juggling a golf ball, and there's nothing really he can say at this point. Blahdeeblah, here's the spot:

Watch CBS News Videos Online
Today Tiger commented how people cant understand the ad unless you know what it's like to lose a father you're close to. On one had, I kind of agree. On another, doesnt that mean that most people wont understand the ad? Either way, the ad's stirring up conversation, which probably means a big success for Nike. I still dont respect Tiger the person. But Tiger the athlete - honestly I hope he plays well and proves himself again. It's not fun disliking someone you once had high regard for.

"Tiger. I am more prone to be inquisitive, to promote discussion. I want to find out what your thinking was. I want to find out what your feelings are. Did you learn anything?" - Earl Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment